Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Bargain

The path of those dedicated to justice
Is long and hard, and leads to many strange places
And deep sacrifices
I remember so well
That day of oath-swearing,
That day of fealty.

Dreamlike, I flew
Into the realm of my lord,
Past hills full of herders leading their cattle
And saw bubbling pits spewing forth alphabets
Into channels of liquid letters, running into the great
Word-forges.  There satyrs hasten busily to keep
The speech vats from overflowing.
Here a pot of “but’s” and “if’s” seethes and nearly
Spills onto the floor. 
Meanwhile, another satyr spun molten letters
Into beautiful words – custom ordered for the best poets!

But my feet hastened onwards despite my lingering gaze,
And I entered the great palace – elysian home
For all departed poets, lawyers, philologists, and misers.
Flitting about ceaselessly in argument, debate, and conversation.
I caught only snatches of their talk
And was suddenly propelled into the presence of Mercury himself.
It all happened so quickly!
The bargain struck, the staff kissed,
And I was on my way home.

How then can I be at a loss for words?
False trickster!  He betrayed me -
I sold him my soul in consideration
Where then is the performance?
Or perhaps I am the betrayer,
Having so long acted the part of slave
To rival Venus.

No comments:

Post a Comment