Friday, July 2, 2010

Explanation to "The Dark Night of the Soul"

This was written at a time when I was going through a difficult time in my life. One night, while I was working late, these thoughts came to me and God gave me peace about the thing that was troubling me. I immediately wrote this poem about my experiences.

I named this poem after a poem and subsequent book by St. John of the Cross, a medieval Spanish monk, though I did not follow the meaning of his poem. The poem starts with a man being afraid and his mental/spiritual state continues to worsen, but he does the right thing with it and cries to God. Eventually, this decision is for the best, and he is given peace. At the end of the sections, there is a single word that sums up the emotions in the previous lines. This is done for emphasis and shows the progression of the poem, and really my spirit that night as well, from fear to peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment